Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Spotted 'Rufous-sided' Towhee

Today I enjoyed the view from the deck railing (I really do have a bird's eye view). I saw some birds near the feeders -- Scrub Jays, Steller's Jays, a Spotted 'Rufous-sided' Towhee, and miscellaneous small birds. I think maybe they were finches or sparrows (I'll need to consult the menu)---er---uh--did I say menu? I meant to say that I need to check the National Audubon Society Field Guide to California. Anyhoo, the birds were getting some food before it started to rain again. Well, that is what they admitted to. Who knows what they were really up to. I'm highly suspicious of their whole fly-by-night operation.

I'm not too sure what Elvis was doing today. Eating and sleeping, I guess. He likes his catnip toys. I'm not too interested in catnip. A few of us have no interest in it (the lady told me why, but I forget). She makes the catnip toys with pesticide-free, organic catnip. I've seen Elvis use the toy as a pillow--I guess he finds it soothing.

Elvis has a notch in his ear from when he was a homeless cat and was trapped and taken in to the veterinarian to be neutered (shudder). Some advocates for feral cats (very dedicated humans!) set Havaheart Traps to catch the ferals in Cambria (a city 25 minutes away--the lady used to live there). The veterinarian puts a notch in the ear so that if Elvis was trapped again, they would know just by looking at him that he had already been neutered, and he wouldn't have to be put under anesthesia needlessly. His ear also looks like he got in a fight and some cat took a bite. Maybe that is how is got infected with the Feline Immunodeficiency Virus. Of course, this all happened before he showed up on the lady's doorstep and she 'adopted' him.

He is doing pretty well, all things considered. He does have hyperthyroid and has to take a pill twice a day. He has been doing that for over two years now. The lady crushes the pill and mixes it with one half can of Fancy Feast. I get half a can of it, too! We also get Science Diet kibble to munch on. Mmmm. Kibble.

Yesterday I mentioned my cozy bed in the garage. I also have a comforter on top of the car in case I want to stretch out a bit when it is not too chilly. So, I have total of three beds to choose from, or, I can sleep in whatever sunny spot I can find.

5 comments:

Marco Costa said...

Very nice!

Cat with a Garden said...

Mr. Black, is it us or are you VERY HIGH UP THERE? Boy, you are a capable mancat to be balancing there - respect! We love kibble too of course.
Purrs, Siena & Chilli

Mr. Black said...

Hi Siena & Chilli--
Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I'm very high up there! The guest cottage where the lady lives is halfway up a steep hill...it is like floating in mid-air. I like to show off but the lady is always telling me to be careful.

Quill and Greyson said...

Hi Mr Black and Elvis Pussley! Nice too meet you! Drop by anytime and I will drop by too.

TabbyNormal said...

We agree with Siena and Chilli, you look like you might have an eagle's eye view.

Purrs,
Abby & Stygia