Friday, March 6, 2009

hangdog

Adjective
dejected, ashamed, or guilty in appearance or manner


Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

Woody, the landlord's dog, is a bit depressed. I guess his feelings got hurt when he found out that I named the landlord's two cats in a post, and the only mention he got was in the post that had my list of 10 honest things about myself, and his name was not even mentioned--he was only described as "the landlord's dog". To add insult to injury, I said that he yelped when I jumped on him with my claws out (well, he did!!).

And that is not the only reason he is moping around.

He now has to be on a long leash while the landlords, S and J, are at work. Woody used to have the run of the place up there, but he blew it, man! There is fencing around a large area near the landlord's house. This helps deter deer and other creatures from venturing in. Unfortunately, no matter how S and J tried to Woody-proof the fence, he kept escaping and running down the road to the neighbor's house to visit his dog girlfriend, Lola. And, when they get together...whoo-eee. Trouble. At their latest tryst, just for fun, they killed the landlord's chickens.

Now, Woody is sort of okay for a dog, although I don't quite trust him. I mean, as indicated by the aforementioned chicken episode, he can easily fall prey to a bad idea. A few times when he has been down here, he kind of tries to corner me...sort of like he wants to play (oh, he always acts all innocent), but I can never quite tell what his intentions are. I'm afraid I have to err on the side of caution (or, clawtion [heh, heh]). Which brings us back to the claws-in-the-back incident. I was up on my deck, minding my own business, when Woody walks up the steps and is looking in the screen door. First of all, that is MY job. Secondly, he just stood there like he owned the place, and way past any grace period I might have given him. So, I took a flying leap off the table right onto his back. Ooo-wee. You should have heard him yelp. He ran down the steps and headed toward home. Total overreaction (on his part, not mine). I didn't draw any blood. It was just my way of telling him to get off my balcony. Well, it must have worked, because he has never come up those steps again!

Anyway, I do sort of feel sorry for him. He is a good watchdog--he barks to keep away the bobcats and mountain lions, raccoons and who knows what else.

So, Woody. As my way of making amends, I am calling you by name in this post and I am including some photos of you. But, you still can't come up the steps. Seriously.


24 comments:

Quill and Greyson said...

Wow your claws are mighty sharp. I can see your appreHENtion. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy you Mr Black? You always make us smile.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

You're a handsome pup, Woody, and we can still why the ladies fall for you. Too bad about the new constraints...

TabbyNormal said...

Ha ha, we like the idea of erring on the side of "clawtion."

You are right to be careful. You are a smart cat. What else can you do??

Purrs,
Abby & Stygia

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Woody, Woody....

You just have to learn to calm down a bit. Don't listen to every whim of fancy you or your ladydog friend may have.

I have to admit the chick-hen bit was rather tantilizing. Once a fox ran through our yard with a neighbour's fowl and I almost took a photo and made them into postcards.

Mr. Black, your claws of doom are purrrfection.

Purrs Goldie

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like you've put Woody is his place! Those claws of yours look mighty fierce!

Mishkat said...

I have to admit that Woody is kind of cute! (It does sound like Lola is a bad influence, though...) I'm glad you showed him who is boss, Mr. Black - cats need to do that every once in a while.

Daisy said...

I think you are very smart to be clawtious around Woody. He looks like he can play real Rough sometimes. Luckily you got a good set of clawrs on you, Mr. Black.

Mickey's Musings said...

It is nice of you to feel for the doggie Woody, but he is a dog. You jumping on his back was genious! heeheehee It's not often we kitties get to scare a dog!!
At least he is a pretty good dog though :)
Purrs Mickey,Georgia & Tillie

Tuck said...

That was very nice of you to post about Woody. I sure it will make him feel special! Hey Mr. Black, that's some set of claws you have there!

Cat with a Garden said...

Moutain Lions?!? Hi Woody!
Very cool new header, Mr. Black!
We will give you guys an ward today...

Shana said...

Mr. Black, I know it's probably not considered manly, but if mew're ever in New York City, please ring me up and we can go get mewnicures together. (Mew don't have to get your claws painted red. Don't worry.)

Kimo and Sabi said...

All we wanna know is . . . didi Woody git to eat da chick-hens?!

Anonymous said...

We love your new banner! It's very Monet. Clawed Monet, that is.

Mr. Black said...

@Shana
Hi, Shana. Now, I know it looks like I need a manicure 'cause my extraordinary claws are exposed in that photo, but, that is only because the lady caught me in the middle of my "many times a day" nail sharpening. My claws are usually invisible to the eyes of mere mortals. Heh, heh.

Mr. Black said...

@Kimo and Sabi--
From what I heard, they didn't even have chicken for dinner. They just killed the poor poultry for fun.
They were very bad dogs that day.

Mr. Black said...

@Tristan and Crikey--Good one. Here's a joke I just made up (thanks for the inspiration):

Answer: Clawed Monet.

Question: What did the cat at the Louvre do for fun.

Heh, heh.

Miss Lizzy said...

Those are some claws! Poor Woody, he looks sweet, but naturally he needs to know his boundaries!
You look a lot like Tiger.

Quill and Greyson said...

Okay I know I was already over here, but I forgot and I saw your new header and I had to say how much I liked it.

Miss Lizzy said...

Tiger has a friend down the alley (we live in an older residential neighborhood with alleys). It is another black cat we call "the Nemesis" because Tiger used to hate him and screech whenever the Nemesis peeked in our windows. Now, they are buddies! Don't think they've ever chased chickens, but possibly a possum or rabbit!

Cory said...

Be careful of that woofie, he looks like trouble even if he is moping around. Our Grete dog doesn't get the run of our entire yard because she'd get herself into too much trouble!!! Silly woofies!

Anonymous said...

Mr Black you is a very sensible mancat!
Woofies are not smart like us kittehs and run on instincts, we therefore must make it there instinct to run screaming.. or yelping, as the case my be, when it sight of us! :P hahah
V-V

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Woody is very neat~!

Chrissie said...

I applaud your judicious use of claw in keeping Woody under control, Mr. Black! You're an inspiration and a good example for all young mancats.

WCTs said...

Woody U are just a doggie and canT help it!!! We luvs ya!!!