Friday, November 2, 2012

Día de los Muertos

Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de los Muertos) is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world on November 2 of each year (sometimes on both November 1 and 2), in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints Day (November 1) and All Souls Day (November 2). People get together to pray for and remember friends and family who have died.

José Guadalupe Posada created a famous print of a figure he called La Calavera de la Catrina ("skull of the rich woman") as a parody of a Mexican upper-class female. Its message is that not even the wealthy can escape death. This image of a skeleton dressed in expensive clothes and fancy hats has become associated with the Day of the Dead, and Catrina figures often are a prominent part of modern Day of the Dead observances.

This Catrina chick makes a good scratching post.


My contribution to the day.





Photo credit for Catrina sculpture (sans Mr. Black)

16 comments:

Ivan from WMD said...

Mr. Black, I agree--she does make an excellent scratching post! And your fish bones suit the day to a T!

Katnip Lounge said...

We did not know the origin of the Catrina figure...that is very interesting.

Who says blogging isn't educational?

Pretinha said...

Loved your contribution Mr. Black.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

Excellent post. Happy All Souls Day! (we're not Catlicks, but we luv to celebrate!)

Sparkle said...

I would love to see a few fish skeletons around here... right after I've dined on them, of course.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

Pee Ess - yes, my foods are special. Science Diet Grain Free is mine and Precious's foodables. Spoilt Prancer Pie & Princess gets KITTEN FOODABLES!!! (so they will keep their weight up. (does that mean I'm fat?)

Gigi said...

My Human's school has a nice Dia de los Muertos altar--about half the students at her school (which is all-girls) are Latina so it's a big holiday. The altar has all kinds of stuff on it but she doesn't think they have a Catrina--maybe someone will bring one. The altar stays up through most of November.

Maybe King Mr. Black needs a nice St. Gertrude to curl up with?

The Paw Relations said...

The Mum saved our skeleton pumpkin from Halloween and relit it in rememberance of those who have passed on before us. Only it burn a mark on her shelf. Stupid mum.

Findus, Isak och Rasmus said...

Nice fish bones! (They look a bit like a pirate flag... a cat pirate, of course.)

Brian's Home Blog said...

Now you are talking, I love a little ><(((º> every once in a while!

The Island Cats said...

We like how you're putting the scratchy on her, Mr. Black.

CATachresis said...

The fish skeleton reminds me ......... lunch! ;)

Catherine said...

Happy November sweet kitty!
xo Catherine

GLOGIRLY said...

We learned something new today!
Thanx for the lesson : )
You may now return to scratching.
; ) Katie

Gigi said...

I was innerested about Addie and the fev-vers. Ai only hadded one peacock fev-ver before and I liked it fine but I dint chew it up or nuffing. Uh-oh--what if I start doing that and run out of fev-vers??? Then I'll be sorry I gave any away! Oh wait--I'm KING--I can take them back, right???

Unknown said...

Wow! That sounds like fun! We is Welsh and things is different 9but the same).
Kisses
Nellie